- Depart Lodge at 9am
- Begin hiking by 9:30-10am
- Hike through beautiful Cotopaxi National Park
- Stop intermittently for snacks and breaks
- Reach summit by 12pm
- Eat lunch on the summit
- Hike down to the car by 1:30-2pm
- Return to Lodge
DAY 1: REACHING THE SUMMIT
The day begins at 9:00am at the Lodge where you will meet with your guide and get geared up for the Rumiñahui day hike. The guide will provide you with boots, warm clothing, a helmet, and anything else you might need for the hike. You will also be given a packed lunch to take with you on the hike. It's important to dress warm as the peak can get down to temperatures of 0 Celsius and it may be windy. It's also recommended to bring a rain jacket and a cover for your backpack in case it rains during the hike.At 9:30am, you will depart for Rumiñahui, which is about 30 minutes from the Lodge. Upon arrival at the Cotopaxi National Park parking lot, the guide will start the trek from the valley between Cotopaxi and Rumiñahui, next to Laguna Limpiopungo, which starts at 3812m. The trek begins as a flat walk around Laguna Limpiopungo and then proceeds up through a valley towards two peaks. It's important to take it slow here to get used to the altitude. After walking between the two peaks, you will walk along a ridge where you can see Rumiñahui's two tallest peaks in the distance. Don't forget to stop intermittently to fuel up on your lunch pack, which includes chocolate, bananas, and other goodies.Next, you'll reach the base of the summit push to Rumiñahui. The summit push is fairly dangerous due to loose rock terrain and can be slippery. The guide advises you to wear a helmet during this portion of the hike, which they will provide. Take the summit push slowly. After about 2 hours, 6km, and 909m of elevation gain, you will be at the summit! At the summit, you can enjoy the astounding view of Cotopaxi, Ilinizas, and many other volcanoes in the area. Take the time to eat your lunch and catch your breath before departing down the mountain.The loose rock portion you traversed on the way up now turns into a skiing-like adventure where you can run down (carefully) while allowing the loose rock to carry you down the mountain. For those not feeling adventurous, you can simply walk down. This portion is very short, and you can return to walking regularly from there. As you walk back along the ridge and through the valley, take in the astonishing views. In about an hour and a half, you will return to your car and depart back to the Lodge, where you will arrive in 30 minutes.
- Transportation to and from Rumiñahui
- Experienced guide, if desired (English or Spanish)
- Technical equipment (if needed)
- For a budget-friendly option, we recommend a minimum of 2 people for the tour.
- Our knowledgeable guides are available upon request. Solo trekking is also possible and we can provide recommendations.
- Let us create a personalized tour for you! Share your interests and we'll suggest other places to visit.
- Children aged 4-12 are welcome and enjoy a 50% discount.
- Please note that activities are weather-dependent and may be subject to change.
- Our tours are tailored to the physical conditions of our guests, and we will adjust accordingly for an enjoyable experience.